now, more.

Monday, October 08, 2007

leaves fall.


friend of mine wrote about how the fall leaves falling in new england is heaven on earth. started to think about it, and it left me feeling like a conundrum.

i love the leaves falling and crisping into colors that they never hinted at during spring. timp was a delight yesterday, all golden and red. i will be going again.

but how could heaven be like something dying? though it is the most lovely thing?

i think heaven is more complex than i could guess. i don't think heaven is paved with gold. or my heaven isn't paved with gold. unless that gold is made out of thousands of golden gingko, maple, and sumac leaves.

i told amy that heaven was driving down the mountain from santa clara la laguna toward lake atitlan in the back of a pick up truck, with the wind lapping around, and the blue open sky and the blue water with green mountains flanking. this still holds true.

4 comments:

Steph said...

lots of things remind me of heaven...namely the #3 and rabbits! oh, and leaves falling all around me in a shower, or jumping in a big pile of them...and many many other wondrus things. I can imagine the heaven of sitting in the back of a pickup truck with my hair whipping in the wind...

heathen said...

mmmm hmmmm.

Kaye said...

I like it when my daughter waxes poetic. It's heaven.

lindsy said...

well, i think heaven is pretty much anything that helps us feel completely happy. my roommate schmath would say "just like heaven" about chips and salsa and her bass and lots of things and i'd have to agree. so it can be leaves (very nice) as well as the road to atitlan (i've been there & also... very nice). so no worries my dear.