now, more.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

this morning i ran out of gas. no metaphor here. in the middlest lane of university avenue almost to the intersection of foothill drive. i guess i should say that little fat boy ran out of fossil fuels, not me, really.

i immediately phreeked out a little.

a gentle sir in a nice truck stopped and waited with me to push fatty out of the middle of traffic.

another gentle young sir wanted to help push. we tried, but without power steering, it was a lost cause.

at the moment of slight despair, a huge blue (that very lovely bright blue) truck pulled up in the turn lane next to fatty, window rolled down. a wild-red-headed-and-bearded man asked me what i needed.

i needed gas.

he parked the car in the turn lane, told the honkers to shut the f*** up, and proceeded to fill my tank with just enough gas to get me to work only 5 minutes late.

the sir in the first car followed me to heritage (he works at scenic view).

what tender souls of altruism and kindness!

the idiot in me thought there was at least one more little trip of gas in fatty's belly. incorrect! this has happened enough times that i have learned that i don't learn my lesson. test me.

but what tender people were to be found on university ave this morning! and i'm not talking about npr reporters alone!

and least of all my dad, who jumped in his truck to get fat boy some fuel. he's the best.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow, what a crazy story! It's good to know that there are people out there willing to help when needed. And you were only 5 minutes late to work. Not bad!

Kaye said...

So lessons learned:
1) Fill your tank before it's empty.
2) Don't phreak out.
3) Drive in the far right lane if you are driving on fumes.
4) People are helpful.
5) Dad loves you.

Ahhhhhh. I love you too.